mercredi 30 juillet 2008

Joban rutei jo koi marda phul bane yaa tara, joban rutei askhik marda ya koi karma wala! ( Ishmeet Singh....)


Joban rutei jo koi marda phul bane yaa tara, joban rutei askhik marda ya koi karma wala! (Ishmeet Singh....)

Ishmeet Singh (September 2, 1989 - July 29, 2008) a well-known Voice of India winner and playback singer has died in the Maldives where he had gone to perform for the 'Star Voice of Maldives' contest to be held on the 1st of August, 2008. He drowned in the swiming pool of the Chaaya Island Dhonveli resort, at which he was staying, on Tuesday the 29th of July 2008 only two days before he was scheduled to perform.

The news of his untimely death has shocked the Indian music industry and his fans.

Sab Da Mit-Ishmeet: A personal tribute by Jagmohan Singh

Dear Ishmeet Singh

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I wish you could read this letter. When I wrote my first letter to you, my paper World Sikh News was flooded with responses from far and wide appreciating your voice, your Sikhi and your portrayal by the paper.

With you as the main icon, my paper had put together a campaign showcasing Sikh talent, which we were to launch in the coming months. Little did I or anyone else knew that it would have to be without your physical presence.

Tears are flowing down my cheek as I pen these lines in fond memory of a year long association with you. Mansimran Singh – my son – and I may have met you very briefly, but for one full year you were a long distance darling of our house. Every evening, there was barely a discussion over dinner in which you were not mentioned.

Uncanny and unearthly are the ways of the Akal Purakh. It is not only difficult to fathom but extremely hard to digest. The manner in which your elder sister and father, Gurpinder Singh are coping with the gulf you left behind with this gargantuan tragedy is a tribute to their love and spirit of Sikhi.

In my lifetime, I have seen very few live performances of singers and yours is one of them. Though I am not an ardent admirer of Hindi film songs, like most Sikhs, I was far too happy to see you in full bloom in full Sikh attire.

I just cannot forget the moment when you were at loss for words and cried inconsolably while receiving the Vivek Singh Award for Excellence from Jagjit Singh and Chitra Singh in memory of their only son Vivek, who had died in an accident almost at the same age as yours. Little did Jagjit Singh Chitra Singh or any one in the audience at Guru Nanak Bhavan Ludhiana know that destiny would shock us in such a cruel manner.

Today, the Sikh nation as a whole joins me in sharing the grief of your parents, family, friends and fans.

Very many times in the Voice of India show, you used to say, “I am doing this to accomplish my father’s dreams”. Those dreams may lie unfulfilled today as far as you are concerned, but you have inspired many a Sikh youth to live with those dreams.

In true spirit of Sikhi, from somewhere you seem to be repeating John Donne’s verse,

Death, be not proud

though some of called thee mighty and dreadfull

for thou are not so.........

One short sleep past, we wake eternally,

And death shall be no more; death, thou shalt die.

In the spirit of Sikhi I pray that “charn kamal ki mauj mein raho ant ar adh”- May you live at the Lotus feet of the Almighty till eternity.

Jagmohan Singh

Jagmohan Singh, a keen admirer of Ishmeet Singh and his work, has frequently written about the Sikh icon and the need for many more such role models for the Sikhs. He may be contacted at jsbgideas@gmail.com

29 July, 2008

Aucun commentaire: